Old 06-15-2012, 05:01 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with ZIP on his comments on the Carb. But I think your real problem lies in your cam and intake if Not carb alone...the gearing ratio along with the final tranny ratio is not your problem..IMO..I run a 3.08 gear in a richmond 6 speed tranny with similiar final tranny ratio similiar as your's and I do not have the problems you are having on bottom end, stumble etc...

I know you gave your cam specs above....If I were you before I went changing cams,intakes etc....I would double check this cam you have and have someone ( if not yourself) Qualified to degree the cam in. I ran across a deal like this a few years ago with a friend of mine with a car he bought with a 383ci...the car was just Lazy and would stumble, no matter what...come to find out someone just stuck the camshaft in and paid no regard to even lining up the Dots..HORRIBLE....I forgot how much it was retarded but we degreed the cam in properly and the thing ran like a new car.
No more stumble, plenty of bottom end, mid range and top end, better gas mileage...you name it..

#1- Rebuilding the carb is a great idea for starters...

#2 take your timing light and bring up the rpm's by hand controlling your carb and just see how your timing mark reacts...I have seen small parts broken in top part of distributers even a tooth broken off on the distributer gear...this would cause your timing mark to be jump around erractic sometime advancing and/or retaring your engine timing which could cause you some issues...again this is cheap to check....just a timing light.
#3- check you current cam position

This is where I would start if I were you...tweaking and checking your own set up before changing anything..and if you get to changing things do it one thing at a time so you know what the problem was when you come across it.

hope some of this helps

jmo

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "