View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 02:21 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
well mines not a off the shelf converter. hell i got it out from under the shelf 5 yrs ago!!!!

lol....Shoot OUTLAW back about 30 years ago when ' Auto Shack" was around...I bought an Off the shelf Alliance camshaft (282/450 lift I think) and anti pump up lifters...Found me a polished tunnel ram with a pair of 465 holleys...bolted all of it on...just lined up the cam Dots ( No degreeing) and the 71 camaro would run like a scalded dog ( pump gas)..4.11 gears and a TQ converter out of a Vega turbo 350 from the junk yard ( No money for a real stall converter lol)..back then you could find 300hp ( double hump) iron heads everywhere..found me a pair under a mans trailer half buried in dirt..took them to NAPPA store decked them 10 thousandths to clean up surface. regular valve job nothing fancy..put screw in studs in the heads..didn't know anything about piston to valve clearance ( just got luckey) The car on re-cap tires ( very popular back then) thru the mufflers/footbraking would run 7.60's in the 1/8th at 92 mph..I would say without a doubt straight headers a transbrake and slicks the car would have run some high 6.90's.......all cheap off the shelf stuff....Just got lucky and hit the right combo. I was 17 or so....I was outrunning older guys that had Tons of money in their set ups.. I drove this car to High school every day. Street racing is a No-No These days but back then we would meet on a desserted road far out of town after Mid-night (no-one around) and have several races for $100-$200 and many bragging rights..we ran from a dead stop and many times from a roll

Just luck of the draw on the set up....best time of My life !

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "