View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 07:34 AM
ogles824
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Even though I have never drag raced with alky my son used to kart race and we ran it in his motor. I used to remove the alky from the tank and put a little pump gas in it and run it for about a minute or two to purge it out. The only draw back to this was the gasoline basically ruined the spark plug. I kept an old spark plug to do this with. I think this proceedure would be to time consuming for something with 8 cylinders, but it might be someting to look at if you were storing your racer for the winter.
I have a friend that races dirt IMCA mods. He has to clear his fuel system as well. He has a tee in the line from the tank to the fuel pump with a valve in it and a valve to shut off the flow from the tank. When he's done on Saturday night he takes a gallon of gas and runs a hose from the tee to the can of gas and opens the valve at the tee and closes the one going to the tank. He cranks the car and runs it until he hears the engine change tone telling him it's runing on gasoline and then he shuts it down. He's been doing this for a long time and as far as I know has never had any fuel system problems related to corosion.