View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 04:33 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: Help W/ ford 351 windsor conversion

Originally Posted by cepx111
What I've got: 1989 gt fuel injected 5.0 W/ AOD transmission

What I'm wanting to do: Install a 351W complete carbed motor.

I know the engine will bolt right up tp the AOD tranny but what about the TV cable, how do you go about it hooking it up to the carb? Is there a conversation kit for this?

What about the OEM TFI distributor? Will it work with a carbed set-up? or do I need to use the older duraspark set- up which is what is on the 351W now or go with a MSD dist?

Will the OEM motor mounts off the 5.0 work?

What about fuel delivery? How do you go about hooking up a fuel pump?
The motor has no eccentric on the cam so I have to go with a electric pump.
Will the OEM injection pump work if regulated down? A friend told me that you can hook up a holley blue pump inline on the pressure side with the OEM pump disabled and then regulate it at the carb.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance, Charles
I'm not sure if there is a tv cable conversion for those, you might check with holley or lokar. I do know that has to be right or you can burn the transmission up in a fairly short distance.

The 302 distributor won't work in a 351w. The shaft & gear are different. You can make a TFI distributor work but it sounds like you be disabling the computer so there will be no way to incorporate any timing advance with it.

The 302 mounts will bolt right up to the 351w, location and pads are the same.

The fuel pump on that car is designed to run all the time with a return type of regulator. With out a return it will make around 70 psi. If you are going to use it you will have to set it up with a return line because if you just use a blocking type of regulator it will damage the pump. If you are going to use an aftermarket pump you should remove the factory pump. When it's not running it will restrict fuel flow making it hard for the aftermarket pump to draw fuel.

The 351w is about an inch taller and 2 inches wider than the 302. If you try to use the factory headers you will have an interference problem with the steering shaft.