Old 01-13-2008, 05:24 PM
jimivice
SHOW GUEST

Default Internal Balance of 383

I will not address the power question. The term "steel crank" can be misleading. Aftermarket manufacturers advertise their cast cranks as "cast steel", and is often misinterpreted as a forged crank. The aftermarket 383 cranks are based on the Chevy 400 cranks, although cast with better material, the counterweights are designed to clear a 5.550"rod. The factory rotator was designed to fit the confines of the production block. Therefore, the long stroke and short counterweight dictates external balancing. Internally balancing a cast crank with the lightest components is a chore and costly. The front of the crank can be corrected with heavy metal but the problem is with the back of the crank. To properly locate the H.M. you will have to drill through the wing on the flywheel flange and due to the short counterweight, you run the risk of getting to close to the flywheel bolt holes. The balancing cost far exceeds the price of the crank (if cast). The 4340 aftermarket forged cranks can be ordered for a external or internal balance application. I know the balancing question was answered. I wanted to offer an explanation.