Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 PM
daddylynch
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Please check your trailer hitches before the season !!

We went to the IHRA race last weekend.Stopped Sunday night just outside of Mobile, Al. to sleep. When I pull in for gas or to rest I always check everything over. Looked everything over saw no issues and got some rest. Pulled out of Mobile and made it to the Other side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in Va.(which is still 3 hours from home). Decided to stay there last night instead of risking falling asleep that close to home. Get up Mon. morning, check everything out and headed for home. Got within 10 miles from home and a traffic light changed and had to hit the breaks a little, but not to hard. As soon as I did the hitch broke on the Motorhome and the trailer started to slide down the road. I was able to use the motorhome to slow the trailer down and guide it to the shoulder of the road. The rear ladder was crushed but saved the back of the motorhome, the front of the trailer will need all new sheet metal.
I had the frame beefed up and it didnt bend at all, the hitch broke straight down where the mounting tabs are bent to mount to the frame. It isnt even close to being overweight. The chains ,breakaway cable and everything were on the road still attached to the box tubing of the hitch. I was very lucky it didnt hit another car or anything else. I was able to keep it on the shoulder and if you went by you wouldnt even have known anything was wrong.over 2400 miles traveled and had a problem that close to home.The big man upstairs was watching over me for sure !!