View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 05:07 AM
mooneye777
MASTER BUILDER

[quote="bjuice"]Well Guys i am not trying to convince anyone to Bump in Neutral...and i do think we are speaking of two different kinds of Cars here...excluding the fact there is extra wear and tear on the engine by not going into Neutral....the #1 reason PRO-AND BIG nos Money racers get in Neutral then Kill the Engine is getting actual Plug readings...which is impossible to do running thru and letting it wind down in gear and Not shutting engine off....

I don't think the debate of drag racing being dangerous starts or stops with this procedure, when in fact its a procedure that is commonly used with Top level racers where fine tunning is a MUST....

I AM NOT saying this will work for you or anyone else..what i am saying there is a valid reason for it and is a requirement at a higher level.

there are a few 10.5 champions that responded that have posted their shut down procedure and reason why....and i think they are still alive and has killed No-one. :shock:
i do know PERSONALLY That Ex-Pro-mod World champion Scotty Cannon and Quann Stott use this procedure.I haven't spoken with John force or any of those Guys but from what i have seen in person and on TV they are in neutral and killing the engine as well...not to mention pro-stock cars and Bikes ...Go Figure.

I guess what i am after here is to keep the original person who ask the question 100% informed..instead of demonizing and scaring him to death. why not tell him why this procedure is done and let him make up his own Mind..i think i said from the start its whatever works for you..i am not advocating either way.

I have usually thrown it in N at 155 MPH with no ill handling habits. I was recently informed of it mainly being hard on the drive line, witch was the reason I asked. I could see a street drven door car getting speed wobbles mainly because the susspension is not designed to run that fast, and then coast. But my old dragster felt no different other then quiet.

I read one statement that it slowly works the rear main bearing out of place by leaving it in gear, thats the stuff along with the tranny failure I am worried about. I guess I will just try the car as it is new to me and run it the way it handles best. I fear the thought of crashing my car and for sure do not want to destroy the car next to me.

Thanks fro everyones opinions, it is interesting that its a what works best situation for most drivers on here.