Thread: Fuel/Air screws
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
d/aprker:

It could be I am just paranoid... It is not fouling plugs or anything. They are black though. It likes about 1200RPM or a little higher, although my tach just died. What i am trying to do is adjust f/a screws to best potential via vacumn @idle. My goal is best f/a mixture I can get w/o potential ring wash... simply put, micro tuning carb best I can for street use (like being at the cruses) where I am using more of the low/mid range instead of WOT. Some of this is like "your cake & eat it too" when you cannot really have a race car be a street car I guess. Scooter
Very hard to meter your carb from idle to WOT. Your plugs will usually be black at rpms below 2500..If your not worried about running to hot you can put bigger air bleeds on the idle air bleeds. At 1200rpm your getting real close to having your intermediates coming into play. And as you know its hard to idle down a big stick....
I don't know if I can explain this very well but I'll try. If you lean your idle screws and air bleeds your idle rpm will go up, then your intermediates will start to add fuel. If you richen your carb up at idle it will slow the idle. My advice would be to be alittle rich at idle, keeps engine cooler and more responsive, and lean your mains out some I would try 72's in the primaries and leave the 80's in the rear. You'll just have to run the rrrs up every so often to keep the plugs from getting to black. That way you might be able to get the idle down to 1000 to 1100rpms. Let me know what you do. take care Scooter....