View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 05:31 AM
dcress1127
APPRENTICE

Lots of folks don't like advice and some never seek it, but blunder ahead and get burnt.

As an enthusiast, I have bought and sold a large number of cars over the years (I am nearing 70). Rule of avoiding scams. SLOW DOWN, never be in a hurry to sell a car ESPECIALLY in todays sick society.

CASH is king? Well, yeah, if it isn't counterfit, but counterfit money is as common as cashiers checks today.

GET complete identification from your buyer regardless of how your transaction is handled. Record license plates of truck/trailer or the drive away plate they put on the car. DO NOT let then transport your car with your plate. DO keep the vehicle insured for the next 30 days. All problems will materialize in that time. IF the sale is fake IT IS a stolen vehicle. File a report.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS IF THE BANKS ARE CLOSED. Take cash to the bank BEFORE releasing the car and have it certified for deposit.

WIRE TRANSFERS. OPEN AND USE AN ACCOUNT FOR A SINGLE TRANSACTION AND THEN CLOSE IT. Some banks may charge up to $50.00 for the transaction......cheap insurance.

NO TEST DRIVES without you in the car. A prospective buyer who operates your vehicle in a reckless manner leaves you liable. IF the idiot can't judge the performance without doing a burn out he is just an idiot. Don't be taken down the same road. You can be fined and in some states your vehicle confiscated if you allow anyone to drive under certain conditions.

Taking trades? Make damn sure that every number matches up and the title is completed properly. Doubts check DMV. I've seen stolen vehicles used as trades...it happens.

I hope some of these tips might help someone.