View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 07:53 PM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

We I probed the SHP block out today and I was very pleased with the lifter bore locations and the cylinder in X-location which is from front to rear were with in .001

Now the cylinders in Y-locations which is intake to exhaust we found the cylinders on the odd side to #1 was .003 out of location and cylinders #3#5#7 were .004 out.

Now cylinders #2 #4 were out of location .007 #6 was .006 and #8 was .005 out of location.

Compared to an 010 block where the worst one we have seen was .032 out of location this Dart block is a good peice.

The deck on the odd side the high measurement was 9.0259 and lowest measure was 9.0224 which is .0035 differance

The deck on the even side the high measure ment was 9.0282 and the lowest measurement was 9.0230 which is .0052

From front to rear both decks we with in .0006

Now the Ed from Edvanced engines claims the Dart blocks he buys from Dart are with in .0002 from side to side heres the link on this http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...704&highlight= and Ed has no equipment to do his work with and I wonder how he is measuring this??? any how.

Before any one gets say anything I ask Dick at the PRI-SHOW who runs Darts machine shop about the locations being off a little and his comment was we ROUGH machine 150 blocks a week and its up to the engine builder to make sure its finished machined to blue print, If a customer wanted a blue printed block they could surely machine one but it would surely cost some extra money.

Also the cam tunnel placement was good as well.

All in all the SHP block is great foundation to start with, I was very pleased with my findings today and all we will do is dial the block in just a little closer. Compared to the 400 and 350 OEM blocks we have seen over the years the SHP block is a great peice and I can see just using a block like this you can make more power over a stock GM block. Carl