View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: we are converted to alcohol !

Originally Posted by bjuice
[img][/img]

i am offcially on alcohol with the 67 camaro..i had the 454-r intake extensively ported,gasket matched,plenty of plentum work..etc...

got everyting hooked up today,,i drained the gas 112, put in my alcohol and ran thru lines (flushed system)..got fuel pump running adjusted fuel pressure to 7 lbs..checked for leaks...opps had one leak the front bowl of the carb was leaking..could not tighten up enough to stop it..took off front bowl and just inspected everything...put back on and "No leaks".....just got to add some water, replace the oil and i can fire her up...suppose to have a good warm week so next weekend could be my 1st alcohol pass..

ohh yes this is my new APD 1150 custom made alky carb !

(wife sneaked in a took the pic)

hey you alcohol guys listen and tell me something here..i had a 55 gallon drum of alcohol in my shop from when i sold fuel last year..i could not remember if i added the top lube to the drum sitting there..something told me i did becuase i smelled a faint smell of cherry or did i ??...so i put another bottle of m2 top lube cherry scent in the drum...but damn it smells so strong like cherry its un-real...

if i accidentally put two bottles in by accident..what could it hurt outside the guming effect ?..or do i just need to buy another drum of fuel (alcohol) and mix this drum in with it....but what if i only put one bottle in the 1st time..
i can't remember...need a little advise here since alcohol is all new to me.

thanks brian
BJ, i wouldn't worry about it if you had 2 bottles of top-oil in the drum, we hardly ever use any at all. If it does bother you just turn the pump off and run the engine until the fuel is empty in the carb and drain the back bowl. Hey what's with the Cheery effect, i use watermelon over here Hehe.
I do think you need to raise the fuel pressure up to 9lbs. though just to help keep up the volume.
I know that everyone does things differently, buts here's my routine after a racing week end. (not as easy with a carb),i shut off the pump and run the engine and injection dry, i have a quick disconnect before the pump, i pull it off and and poor in mineral spirits while turning over the engine until the mineral spirits come out of the injection system. That way the pump,valve body and nozzles are protected from green slime corosion which alcohol builds in the parts when setting. If i don't do this i'm cleaning th nozzles, before the car will make a decent pass, plus it cuts down on the cylinder rust from the alcohol water content. Same thing with the blower motor.

You may have to put turn-outs on your collectors, my car would make you blind from fumes during a pass with inside the frame headers before i put them on.

UH, what's C12? i haven't smelled any gas in the last 8 yrs.

you gonna luv alcohol and the response, not to mention the price difference in gas.

I say .015/.020 quicker maybe better on alcohol.

JMO

Zip.