View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 AM
PJ
CRAFTSMAN

Default Agreed

I do volunteer work at a nursing home for an hour a week with a bunch of the guys and play cards with them, it's listed as the "Men's Group" on the activity sheet for the nursing home, and I do all the dealing and putting in the poker chips for some of the guys that can't, and at the end of the hour I dish out $2 to the winner and usually find 3 others who came in second and give out $1 to each of them.

I agree with the way these people in the nursing home are sometimes treated, and yet criminals get better treatment. Growing old in this country is a disgrace. Your entire lives possessions squeezed into a small half room.

BUT it comes down to the time you want to take to make a difference in someone's life. Call your local Nursing home and find out if there are any volunteer efforts you can do. I know I make my daughter come with me from time to time so she can get a better respect for what it means for be in a nursing home and what she can get out of it by making a difference in someone's life.

My friend has a dog and got it certified to go into the nursing home to see the residences. When I go with her its amazing to see the look on these peoples faces and how they start to talk about the pets they once had.

One hour really does make a difference in someone's life as well as your own.