Old 08-19-2007, 06:50 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

I've got two. First one happened in my Bickel Grand Prix. I just crossed the finish line or at 1310 feet the motor let go and filled the inside of the car with smoke. I couldn't see anything at all. Here I am going about 150 mph and can't see the track at all. Now you guys can belive this or not but it's the honest to God truth. I looked out the passenger window and saw a 8 inch hole of clear view. I could see where I was and the guard rail.
It only lasted for a few seconds but I was able to keep the car down the middle of the track. I tried hitting the brakes but I felt the car starting to go sideways. I held my breath until I got the car stopped. We always towed the car back so my son Todd was already at top end. He opened the door with the track guys and they started spraying me with fire extinguishure stuff. I didn't know it was on fire. I just wanted out. I pulled on the wheel to remove it and it wouldn't come off. Then I really pulled on the wheel.

This time it came off and hit me across my nose and broke it. Blood everywhere at this point. Todd pulled me out of the car. I was fine but the car was not. Burned down both sides of the doors, parachute was burned off, taillights were melted. It took me months to clean the car from fire extinguisher stuff and oil from the motor. What a mess. I clened it up and sold the car. Funny thing I had an on board fire system but I didn't think it was on fire so I didn't hit the button. I guess if you see smoke there's fire, so I should off hit anyway.

Second one was at 128 mph the steel hood came unlatched on the Camaro and the hood layed over the windshield. At this point I said to myself you have experience with not seeing the track so I got the car stopped. Didn't have a removable steering wheel so I was OK. The roof thumped me on the head pretty good but with the helmet I didn't get hurt. You wonder what you would do if you have problems going down the track. In short don't do anything very quick. Don't over correct. If your car gets out of control, hold on and let the safety equipment do it's job.
In the end, if you feel it's not right with the seat of your pants.
LIFT TO RUN ANOTHER DAY.