View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 02:48 PM
knova70
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by billhendren
If its an early block the main and head studs will fail long before you would need filler.the early blocks had head studs that were only .900 thread engagement into the deck.the main studs were only 7/16 with short engagement as well and would pull out under high power use.best thing for early blocks is street use,look for a Brodix or Dart if your going to put out some power and they done need to be filled.Bill
The block I have was made in 1992 and it is a bowtie race block,I have the specs that came with the block,it says these blocks were tested to around 1000 hp and didnt fail,I took the main studs out today and they go into the block over a inch,and the studs are backcut,as for the head studs I was going to use arp studs,the holes are blind and are not helicoiled,was thinking of putting those in before the building of the motor,I talked to several people about there dart aluminum blocks and they did also helicoil the head stud holes for security,so hope I dont have a problem also the mains are 4 bolt on all 5 caps and are billet, Thanks