View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 PM
chevy582r10
SHOW GUEST

Default Re: drum to disc brake conversion

Originally Posted by trucker677
I just purchased a 65 nova, first older car I ever owned, I am wondering what types of vehicles I can use to convert the drum brake to disc brake. what other changes is there I have to do. Any help or any input would be great, Thank you.
Here's what you can do if you're looking for a cheap alternative to the expensive brake kits. It's not lightweight but not too heavy either and very good working and durable. I've done this to a bunch of cars over the years.

Get brake rotors and hoses for a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am with rear disc brakes. Calipers and pads for the front of a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville, weld on Metric caliper brackets from a place called Smiley's Racing here on the net. The last time I bought all this stuff the rotors were $22.00 ea, calipers were $19.00 ea. but have a core charge on them, the brake hoses were $24.00 ea and the brackets were $9.95 ea plus shipping. You can add in an adjustable proportioning valve if you want, so far all the cars I've put these on stopped great without one. This set up will get you a nice set of rear disc brakes but does not have any provision for a parking brake. The metric calipers can be had with a parking brake on them too I never bought them that way but I think the rear calipers for a 1987 pontiac 6000 with rear disc has them. Good Luck

Roger
582r10