View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gearhead1011
I would guess it's externally balanced. Neutral balancing will take a huge load off of the #2 and #4 main bearings. It would seem 7200 RPM on a long stroke motor with external balance is asking a lot. I used to run an external balance on my 3.625 stroke SBF. I can't remember what RPM I was shifting at back then but I know it was on the edge of what a stock crank and stock 2 bolt block was capable of. If something broke or I missed a gear it would zing it up against the rev limiter and turn either #4 or #2 main bearing. This would require teardown and line boring the block to repair and after the 3rd time the block was junk. i never scattered it because I run a system 1 filter and always check it after a race. The amount of bearing material in the filter told me it was time to tear it down.
Qoute:

Rigs.

I am not expert here; but when I heard the combo, times, RPM, passes etc... then heard it was cheap rotating assembly (cast), I was pretty impressed!! So was i Rigs from the very begining when i first saw the car run.

Yep Chuck, it was an external balanced engine, I donot know the whole history of the car, it he bought it turnkey from a person in NC or SC, he was a retired NHRA super stock racer, and this was his play toy.
David had never set foot in a race car in his life, but he lives across the street from my long time friend Tracy Smith (Jimmy Smiths son)
David was a fast learner and made a lot of money in 2009 and 2010, the only changes he made in the car was a new set of valve springs in 2010.
But like us all we always want to go faster, he didn't know what was inside the motor, so fast forward to the the alcohol setup, with some help he found all the weak links, but expensive.
The new 545" motor is internal balanced and better built, the cam was also very small .722 total lift, going back with .800 plus, that why i think it will go 5.40's in 2012.

JMO

Zip.