Old 10-12-2008, 09:37 AM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: k&n air filtration system do they really work

Originally Posted by desoto30
Originally Posted by tcarda
Originally Posted by mojomal
I'm considering purchasing a k&n filtration system and wanted to know do they really work?
Has anyone seen a dyno test performed using this system?
Just don't use the K&N filter lid! I have one and I lost 15 hp on the dyno with it. The dyno guy had another base with a solid cover and I lost 1 hp through his with using my main element on both pulls.
When you lost that 15HP what height was the air cleaner element,& did you test different element heights by any chance.You also mention about the base,What was the difference there?
I had on a "standard" chrome base on mine with a 6" tall X 14" with the K&N cover. The guy at the dyno had an aluminum type base that was rounded going into the carb, my 6" X 14" element, and his cover did not have any sharp edges in the air flow pattern. The wingnut was down from the top of aircleaner around an inch and he told that with the lid like that it directs the air flow downward. I have picture but I am not sure how to post it and if you want to pm me your email I will send it. I forgot to mention that this was on a 4150 style carb. I agree with dynaguy03 about havin an unprotected engine from the elements especially with me because mine is exposed to a dirt environment.