Old 07-29-2007, 05:00 AM
bignastygs
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Important tool advice..For all do it your selfers

Yesterday,I received my 3 inch suspension lift kit for my 1998 Tacoma. I decided to take the kit out and try to install the front pieces then finish the rear today.Good idea,bad outcome..First, I have been working on vehicles of all types for over 35 years and I have alot of good tools. I started by jacking up the truck and placing the jackstands underneath it. I removed the shock(macspherson style spring shock) and removed it. I then proceeded to remove the spring from the old shock and had no problems. This is where things went terribly wrong.I used myspring compressor and removed he spring from the shock and thought all was going well. I needed to compress the spring about another inch as I had to install an aluminum block underneath the stock plate the shock stud goes through. I was using an air gun tightening both sides equally,when bang...the one side of the compressor slid on the spring toward the other one on the opposite side. The bolt on the compressor is 5/8's or thicker and pinned my thumb into the spring underneath the bolt. I couldn't get my thumb to move and seen it was immediately turning purple. Luckily, my daughter was out there with me as I generally go there myself.I had the foresight to pick up the spring and run into the garage and I told Sarah to grab a drop cord and plug my metal bandsaw in. I started to cut the bolt off the end(luckily it was past the top of the compressor fingers) so I could get the pressure off my thumb. As it was cutting it I got a little excited and it pulled the bandsaw blade off its pulleys and it stopped cutting. I then raced over and got a wrench and slid the boxed end over it and broke the bolt off. It immediately let the pressure off and my thumb came free.It took at least 5 minutes to get my thumb to conform to shape and then I decided to take a trip to the hospital. I got Damn lucky as I still have my thumb yet and nothing was broken. It managed to put so much strain on the muscles it hurts up my arm about 10 inches. Even though I am sore,I feel lucky. I have a great selection of quality tools and I have used this compressor to remove a couple sets of car springs. I should have known better to skimp on such a tool but I bought an overseas one and paid the price. I will never buy,use or recommend another cheap tool. I guess the saying,"you get what you pay for" holds true. I will be laid up a couple more days,but I will chalk this up to a valuable lesson. I urge all people who work on their car to please use caution,read the directions and only use good quality,proper tools. Learn a lesson from my mistake.
Pat