View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

There is some read on speed talk on cam cores, Mike Jones and others, google cam core and go to speed talk, lots of good imformation, things i never though of, but they make sense.
Back in the mid 60's i was running solid flat tappet cam on a blown A/mod sports car also competerd in B/GS, but we didn't have the spring pressure that we do today.
However every cam i checked i've ran. Hydraulic flat tappet cam was in my El Camino, with only 110 LB spring pressure (it went flat) The Bullit solid flat tappet cam i ran in my 406" motor with 135 LBs spring pressure and it's like new after more than 200 passes, the Comp cams solid roller, i ran 240 LBs pressure and it's also good.
The talk on speed talk is that the older cams were chilled iron, but the cam grinders hated them because the were harder to grind.
As RK says in the old days we ran Magnetos and they would wear out the distributo gear, (IE front drive distributors) i run one on my blown sm/blk, mainly to keep the timing closer from cam twist with a .900 base circle or less, my 434 has a .870 BS. it's a .723 lift with 1.6 rockers

Zip.