View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by roadkill2
Rigsby . . Altitude makes a big difference, especially once you're above about 3000' MSL, and the temperature gets much above 85°. The "Air" just goes away . . add in a 5 mph wind and it gets worse.

Years ago there was motorcycle classes for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, and a couple of times we did that . . Talk about a tuner's nightmare. Start at 9000' and go to 14,000' . . 85° at the bottom and about 55° at the top. Had no idea back then about "Air Density, corrected", but I'd bet there was "NONE" . .

But . . In places where there are dense forests surrounding the race track, altitude reads may show less air, but because of the trees, the oxygen content in the air is greater . . it's a real tuner's conundrum. Seattle, Houston, Memphis, all have this particular situation and while it's not as big a deal to the normally aspirated cars, add a blower with Alky and your exhaust temperature problems seem to multiply, while your weather station is telling you there is no air . . Add Nitro and it gets real edgy.

And Mark's pretty close on the temp thing, I think. We try to keep the water at about 100°, engine oil(pan Temp)@ 115-120° and the converter @ 120-135°, depending upon the time given between rounds . . We try to come into the water at about 160° and it's usually about 170° at the launch . . And the longer you're against the converter the softer the leave . . Just sharing what I think I've learned . .

And we'll be listening on Saturday (Super Chevy) for your wife . . We're the purple 67 Camaro (The Grape Ape) in S/Pro . . If we get a chance we'll stop by and say Hi . .
I'll stop by if I get the chance! New trans isn't here as of yet (saturday), but should be in time enough before the race to get it in the car and tested.

You're not going to be upset when I put you on the trailer in the 1st round now are you???