View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Doug,
My two cents on this question. The 7AL-3 uses 1amp per 1000rpm. If you weren't burning all the fuel with the HEI then there would be a power increase with the better ignition. Most HEI units don't like rpm above 6500 or so. I believe it has to do with the coil rise time so and the MSD should be putting out more energy overall. You should be able to burn the mixture better if the HEI is not getting it done.

Looking at what you are running I would guess total amp draw for the three items you listed somewhere around 37-39 amps. The fuel pump depending on which one it is will probably be around 6-9amps, fan around 14-15amps or so, and the only procomp water pump I have checked pulled 17amps. I have a true RMS clamp on meter that will read DC amp draw that I use when someone wants to know total power used.

Now I have a some questions. If you are running an alternator why run two batteries? Do you have starting problems if you don't charge between rounds? Have you ever checked total amp draw with the car running, or do you have an amp meter in the car? I see you are checking the alternator.

Not sure about the solenoid deal??

By the way I run one of the super mini 50amp alternators and one Sears Platinum 1000amp battery and I never have to charge my car. I do however use one of the Battery Tender brand trickle charger / maintainers whenever the car is just sitting.

Curtis