Old 12-08-2013, 08:18 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Never seen a problem with that. It does seem kind of like old fashioned shower heads, but in our case it all goes down that big old hole . .

We've run the same SV-1 on a 468, a 498 and a 582, on Gas (VP-116), and had two different cams in both the 468, and the 498, along with the current 582, and we've never had to make an adjustment from the original setup the carb came with. The thing is so simple there ought to be a law against it, and if you have any "Holley Smarts" at all, diagnostics are easy. The biggest problem, going back to the "Holley Smarts" is, you have to be careful with the SV-1 or you'll overthink the problem.

Let me add, we haven't had to touch the Jetting, no matter the altitude or air density, or the fuel. The engine demands and the carb provides . .

We sent it back to Pro systems when we made the change to Methanol and they "opened it up" for alcohol, and sent it back with a new Fuel Regulator that works in conjunction with the engine vacuum, so that when vacuum drops the fuel pressure goes up, keeping the float bowls full . . Works like Magic, but you have to adjust the regulator a tad when air density (Thus air pressure) changes. That's kind of "Round by Round tuning" but it's the only thing we really have to watch.

I'll add that we do have all the bells and whistles, EGT monitor (#1 & #8 ), and a run recorder for pass by pass data, so we're pretty aware of how well the engine is working . .

The only problem we've had with it was, when we got it back from the Alky Overhaul, we discovered the car wouldn't idle worth a d@mn once it was warmed up, and wanted to stall when staging . . We were at the track, and overthought the problem . . Fussed with it until about 9:45 pm MDT . . called Tech Support and left a message, and within ten minutes, the CEO called us back (Midnight in Florida) and listened to our description of the problem, told use to fatten up the Idle Bleed Jets on the front system and told us to call him back if that didn't work . . It did and we've had no other problems.

As far as I know, in all the years of racing, I've never been able to call somebody that sold me any kind of speed equipment, on a Saturday night at 10 o'clock and got anything more than a hate call on Monday morning. Of course, for the most of that time I didn't have a phone in my pocket either!

Nonetheless, that's really service! I don't think Barry Grant would pick up the phone if I bought a system from him and had problems with it. Not that he's a bad guy or anything, it's just that most companies don't offer tech support to a racer on the weekends . . And those that do, most often don't offer contact with the Designer and CEO . . .

Now, let me qualify everything I know about Carburetors and Drag Racing. Not much. Most of my life has been spent fussing with Hilborn and (mostly) Enderle Fuel Injection. Always thought a carburetor was the Oddity on top of the tow truck's engine . . But, For many years I've listened to those who use Carburetors and learned one thing if nothing else.

"A Used Holley Carburetor is somebody else's mistake that they can't fix, so they sold it to you!"

95% of the time!

And I'd bet that goes pretty much for any other Carb off a race car . .