Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Just another dumb thought-driving a race car?

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
Well, as I contemplate this project, after the rebuild of my Nova. A real thought occurred to me. The last time I had this car together, I only ever made one test pass in this car. I had a buddy do all the driving and I was content to turn wrenches and tune on it. That was in the late 80's.

1978 was probably the last time I made a competitive pass down a drag strip! I was much younger and likey had better reflexes then. It certainly won't be this year before I get it out and if I'm luckey, maybe sometime next.

I doubt I'll be the last old duffer to try this though. Imagine I'll look mighty silly the first few passes. Got months of work ahead before this becomes a reality.

My old friend wants back in on this and I'm happy that he and I can do this. This time I want to drive it some. I reckon early on, I'll be the easy win for someone.
Don't know what you're calling old, but i'm 69 and my friend Jimmy Smith is 65, he runs a protree class, not brackets and rarely has a lite higher than .430 with a 3,000 lb car. He went thru triple bypass surgury in 2006 and sat out that yr. came back in 2007 with vengence and won 2 out of 4 events running up in one and red-liting in the other.
So don't let age fool you, you are only as old as you feel. I sat out in 2007 due to catarac's, got them fixed in Dec. 07, and now have 20/25 vision. I'm kicking my 6.52/10/59 Malibu to the curb and putting in an injected 434" to run the 9's, and also building a blown alcohol Anglia

NO more whinning about age, just do it

Zip.