View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 12v to 16v Conversion

Originally Posted by doorracer
Originally Posted by TheRabbit

I've heard all kinds of stories about somebody knows somebody that had problems yata yata yata, but I've never seen it.
Was this toward me?
Nope, but I hear it all the time from people that have really never tried a 16 volt and the ones that have had problems run the batteries for years which even a 12 volt would be no good after that long.

A friend of mine wanted to try a 16 volt, but another friend talked him out of it. I gave him one of my old batteries and told him to try it. He bought a 16 volt charger and loved the 16 volt set up. The battery didn't last long, but it gave him a chance to try it for a month or so then bought a new battery.

One thing that I have found to help is that using a battery the way we do dischages them pretty hard so I charge it hard (25 amps), until it's charged. I don't trickle charge it at the 5amp setting. I do charge it again a little while before I run, but that's just a peace of mind thing.

And yes, when they die they die hard and harder to jump off. Not that they die any faster, but it just doesn't die slow like a 12 volt.
Also If you run it for a few seasons and it gets weak CHANGE IT or it will die on you.
With that being said, if you go to a 16volt you want go back. IT IS WORTH THE COST if you are a serious racer.