View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
16" rims with 8 lug axles Load range E tires
I see way to many people blow tires 15" latley thats a problem no one wants.
If you don't go with 16" E rated tires, MAKE SURE any smaller tires are a "TR" rated tire. These are spceial trailer tires made for carrying heavy loads. I had been towing trailers for years, and I didn't know that!

I had been just using whatever tire I could find, then when I went to replace all four of my worn tires, there was no shop in my small town who would sell me any tires...? One saleman finally explained these "TR" rated tires and they had to be ordered, as nobody here stocked them. He sternly warned me DO NOT just put on any tire, you will have problems, sooner or later! He said that is why nobody else would sell me any replacment tires for my car trailer without ordering the TR rated, because of insurance liability issues.

I then went home and did some internet research about these TR tires, and found out he was absolutely correct. Even though I only have a 16' open dirt car race trailer, I still carry a lot of load with the built on toolbox, tire rack and all my gear. I bet I am near max rated load when fully loaded with everything.

I then found DiscountTireDirect.com and ordered four new Goodyear TR205-75-R15 tires right to my door for half what the local shops wanted for them. I put them on myself in my shop, and they are some great tires!

Just thought I would share this in case anyone else didn't know about TR rated trailer tires...

Jim