View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 05:46 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively

safe is nice [ steering tires falling off can be exiting :roll: :roll: :roll:

lively
I hear ya! Me and my buddy Josh built a muddin' truck in high school.It was a short bed 1/2 ton Chevy with 10 bolts on both ends.A Caddy 500 motor,700r4 and a set of EXTREMELY heavy bias-ply 44x18.50 Ground Hawg tires.The paint was factory "doo-doo brown"(I beleive that is what GM actually called it) and was known as the Flying Turd We were cruising down main street down town,which in our little hillbilly town consisted of 2 gas stations,1 car wash,1 tire shop and stretched for about,ohhh...1 1/2 miles with a few cracker-box houses here and there ops: ,when the truck started shimmying(worse than usual,45 mph top speed :? ).We figured we'd pull into the one and only tire/auto parts shop and get his uncle,who owned it,to help us check it out.Well the steering knuckle broke clean off the axle tube(with the EXTREMELY heavy Hawg on it :lol: ) as we entered the parking lot,rolled ahead of us,bounced of his uncle's shop and then proceeded to take it's only little joy ride back down main street :shock: much to the surprise of the local black and white parked across the street at the filling station.Luckily,it didn't hit anyone,since we don't really have any traffic much.Well,the friendly officer helped us roll it across the street to where we were "parked" and started telling us how he was gonna write Josh a ticket for failure to maintain control of his vehicle. :lol: :lol: Josh said"How am I supposed to maintain control of parts of my vehicle that decide to just fall off?I know why you're harassing me".Now you gotta know josh.Boy is teflon,nothing sticks.Can get away with anything.And an absolute nut to boot.Cop asked him "Whys that?".Josh says "'Cause you're a racist and don't like our kind!" Me,Josh and the cop are all white as snow. He just kinda looked at Josh like a cow looking at a new gate,shook his head and told us to be careful as he walked back across the street.You couldn't hear him laughing,but you could see him shaking trying to hold it in!Coolest part was,the wheelbase was so short,and the truck so tall that the thing didn't even fall!It just kinda sat there in mid-air and bobbled up and down!That was the demise of the Flying Turd as we had no $,plus we had had our fun with that truck.Ended up a 2wd ground hugger after that :cry: .Yep,Lively!You're right!Steering tires falling off can be very exciting,ecspecially if you keep the right company! :lol: