Old 04-05-2008, 03:54 AM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Ethics and Race car sales (long) Saturday April 5th, 2008

Just need to vent (whine a little if you prefer).

Wondering how others might view this situation. I finally found what I thought might be the car that fit the criteria I had been seeking. By the way, it was not found on this forum.

I had called the owner on Wednesday, got some information. One question I asked him, "had you gotten any bites on the vehicle", HIS reply, to quote; "only calls, one no show that had wanted to see the car". He emailed me some photos and a lengthy detailed description of the car.

I proceeded to return him another call, made arrangments with a friend to go look the car over with the intention of purchasing it this Saturday (today). Lo and behold, last nite at about 10:30 pm, I get a phone call. He informs me, he had just sold the car.

On the one hand, who am I, it is his property, which he has every right to do with as he wishes. I can accept that. Maybe he just needed the money that bad, who knows. At least he had the courtesy to inform me before I had undertaken a trip. The whole thing digs at my craw.

Alot of you here seem to be "sellers" of cars and goods. How do YOU handle these circumstances. If someone has made an appointment to look at your goods, someone else swoops in before the first person has the opportunity to make you an offer, what do you do?

Would you just take the money, tell the other potentioal buyer to go pound sand, which essentially is what this guy did to me. Or would you have waited for the first person to make his offer. Going back to what I said , maybe he just was desperate for cash.

I've read numerous instances of sellers complaining about buyers being tirekickers. I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I'm a potential buyer that is starting to take umbrage with sellers! If you DO have people knocking down the door to purchase something, tell us that. Granted, I'm not out anything but a little inconvenience, I haven't lost ANY money. I still feel like I got screwed over.