View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 07:00 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Taking out timing at (or about) the 1000' brick is a hot tip if you're running a high compression engine.

One of the gains in running a lot of lead is increased static compression. It assists your HP curve in the low and midrange areas but once momentum is gained, compression will kill your top end MPH . . Of course, that's dependent upon a lot of things, starting with air density.

Up here where we race (5000'+) corrected air on any given day could be around 7500-8500 feet so a lot of compression is needed . . Until you get into the top of your HP curve . . Up until the latest group of Ignition smart boxes came out, what worked on one end didn't help at all on the other . . Now, all of us can adjust your timing as the HP curve demands. Take a little out from the starting line to about the 60' brick, add it back in incrementally to the shift point and then cut some out for the last 320' or so . .

I just wish I'd had this back years ago when I was racing seriously. I can't count the blocks and cranks we spent learning where the happy medium was!