View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by BigKid777
Originally Posted by johnracer
The race/extreme mode is designed just for that; race/extreme. Will tear stuff up, especially trannys. You really shouldn't get out of tow mode.....ever. I know that being able to drive 80mph up a tree is cool, but you're paying the price at $1900-2100 a pop....
Are you sure the whine is the trans? Hard to believe you can hear a trans whine over the stroke racket.......
Thanks for the reply John, I've been a mechanic for 30 yrs. and am in tune to "noises". With the driver door open , vehicle stopped and moving gear selecter from drive to reverse., the noise is present in drive, stops in neutral and is audible again as soon as it engages reverse again.

I'm taking it back to the shop again with these observations to see what can be done if anything. In the mean time I'll take it out of extreme mode and try "tow".
Ok, might be pump noise. Really bad pump noise. I'm sure the extreme mode maxes out line pressure in attempt to make the clutches hold, so may have overtaxed the pump. I'm pretty sure that it also disables lockup converter functions which will make more heat, especially towing.
With 30 yrs experience as a tech, I'm sure you're correct about where the noise is coming from. I certainly didn't intend to suggest that you didn't. Sometimes noises are hard to pinpoint. I have 26 yrs myself.......and have chased noises a time or two.
Johnny