View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

That depends on your definition of "life of the motor". I know people who freshen their engines every winter. Whether it's got 50 runs or 200. I personally like to get 300-400 runs before freshening the motor. My opinion is that's not gonna happen with alcohol. IF you get a carb that's properly setup out of the box, or IF you have enough experience with injection to get the barrel valve and pill settings lean enough quickly, and IF you are willing to burn the fuel and have enough time to get the engine warm enough to prevent milking, condensation, etc, before every pass, and IF you don't mind freshening the motor every 100-200 passes, then no. It doesn't effect the "life of the motor". The power is awesome, the et gains and consistency are really cool, but for me gas is the only way. No corrosion of fittings, no white powder buildup inside carburetors, (it happens to all of them. Don't BS me), no little crystals inside injector nozzles that require periodic cleaning, no fuel pumps that lockup if you let the sit dry, etc. Now I know that my opinion won't be very popular with most of you, but unless you have previous experience, or have a crewmember who does, (and I don't mean that guy who's helping you because he just blew up his alcohol motor), you'd be better off sticking with gas.

that's my opinion, go ahead and throw rocks......