Thread: Tri y Headers?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 04:01 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Not necessarly

It has been my experience that the appropriate application for that pulse sequence will have an exhaust port that is too small relative to the intake port capability, say exhaust flow 70% or less of the intake. When you are unable to sht, you can not eat. Some circle track engines often find power with them due to limitations that are built in to the exhaust port they may have to run. When the exhaust pulse is increased at lower RPM applications it can help scavenge more spent gas which allows a greater intake charge to get into the chamber. Now if you have a good balanced head say with an exhaust port that flows 80% of the intake, this headder design can and will cause more of the incoming charge to be drawn into the exhaust or over scavenge. This will cause the exhaust to run hot maybe red hot and leave the combustion chamber with less trapped incoming charge. The best way to describe those unconventional pulse waves is that they are a crutch for a built in problem in the exhaust port by intent or accident. If your cam and exhaust port were not selected with these pipes in mind don't use them. They are very often misapplied and often never known by the user. This is my experience from years of welding headders. A step headder can be a hand bone too if the step is to close to the head. But that was not your question. I hope this info helps you make the best decision for you race program.