View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: SBC GAS TO ALKY help

Originally Posted by dynaguy03
I am considering switching to Alky from gas.. im looking to be able to run a more consistant number.
I have sbc 385 ci 13-1 200 .. now running 10.25 but i fluxuate 10.25 up to 10.29 from cool mornings to hotter afternoons
I run a complete aeromotive bypass type sys 10 line to the front 8 return .. this setup rated at 1200hp .. im making 642 hp Aeromotive claims this should have no issue to pump enough alky just have to change my filters and go from 6 line to carb to 8
My question is can alky narrow my time fluxuation.?. everyone i know on alky seems to run real tight numbers and gas guys fluxate a much broader range.
Will top lube help with the corrosive factor??
I run a Nos kit 100hp on a totally seperate fuel system will that need changes .. it works well now when i need it.
Alcohol will be must more consistant, it also takes more hands on. Most guys running alcohol might disagree but its just that after awhile the extra maintance just becomes natural. Top lube helps alittle, but nothing will stop the corrosive factor. I think you NOS will work fine also.
My advice would be don't go and buy a cheap second hand carb to start off with. Buy a nice alcohol carb to start with and you won't have any problems.