Thread: Bbc hp est
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by ejm
first pull on this motor not really wanting to turn more than7500 but it pulled it all the way down at the end
Based on what I know about "Truck Pulling", which is almost exactly nothing, I'm gonna say you're pretty close to doing what you wanted to do . . Based on the video and the quoted post. Looks like tuning is what you're after . .

On the timing thing. Locking out your mechanical advance and running a set timing number is to maintain a specific ignition tme when you narrow the power band and run the engine within a specific parameter . . If you need a specific timing curve, again, I'd recommend a MSD 735A (If I remember the model number correctly) where you can adjust your timing curves up and down during a run . . and they're exact.

If your EGT is above about 1250, y'might fatten it up a little and definitely, if you choose to bump the timing you should fatten it up. (Advance leans the engine out)

On the glowing headers . . back in the day, if you had a Fuel car with Zoomies, when the glow was down to where the curl started, it was "just Right", as the baby bear said . . . any farther out and you were either heating the engine too long or it was too lean . . . What's your engine temp when you get to the end of the run?

Dunno about leaving harder. I've found with our car, we can leave a lot softer (4750plus/minus) and get really hard leaves that're a lot easier on drive lines than the old 5500 rpm launches. And we "Throttle into" the launch rather than hammer the driveline and tires . . (1.35 60' times) and we use all the tire with no spin, even on late day or greasy track conditions . . But we're drag racing, not pulling . . There's a difference, I'm sure . .

And we're still 'spearmintin' so I'm certainly not the last word . .