View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

According to the Weiand site, the blower is setup from the factory for 10-12 lbs of boost. But, of course, they don't indicate what cubic inch, because that would make sense.

I hate to down anyone elses stuff, but man, of all the blowers out there... A Wieand? I hope you bought it more for show than power. Those blowers use reconditioned GM rotors... Good for 8 cylinder diesels, but not so good on high performance automotive.

If you had a better blower, it would produce boost as soon as you cracked the secondaries open, regardless of RPM.

Actually, he can read the plugs quite well. Get out on a straight stretch of a few miles, keep the throttle in one position in high gear, note the EGT and kill the ignition. Pull over and check the plug. So long as the ground strap is tan to light brown you're fine. Dark brown or black, or as is right now, grey or white, the jetting is wrong.

The ignition timing is probably too low as well, which can also lead to high EGTs. I used to run 9.5:1 with 8 Lbs on the street (10 yrs ago or more) with 93 octane and 38 Degrees advance (locked out). I used a nitrous timing retard with a pressure switch that pulled 4 degrees out at 5 Lbs of boost. This kept the response high until the boost took over and less total ignition was required.

You're at 2 full points of compression lower. Crank that timing up to the 34-36 range. You should see the motor respond a lot better. You'll also have to adjust carb idle down, which is probably so high right now that it's up into the transition slots rather than fully on the idle circuit.

Shame your not in the STL Metro, I'd be happy to help tune it for you.