Thread: MSD ignition
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 08:00 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default MSD ignition

Just wanted to give you guys a little story about an issue I've been having.

I have an MSD digital 7 (7530) in my truck. Installed it and it ran fine for probably 8 passes. Then I was at a race and I pulled up to the starting line hit the trans brake and it came off the line and it was like it was stuck on a rev limiter at 5,400. Checked everything (in the set up. ie; rev limiter 8,800, launch rpm 5,200, etc.) at least 10 times nothing wrong. Finally that night gave up and put it in the trailer. Pulled it out the next morning and the truck ran fine. Just as a precaution I cleaned and check every wire including all ground wires. It ran fine for about 3 or 4 more passes then it did this again. This time for some reason I unpluged the tach because it had started acting goofy. ( Just trying anything at this time) Truck made another pass same night and worked fine so I thought I had a messd up tach. After two or three more passes it did the same dam thing.
I know that 90% it's not the box it's something else, but by this time I was sure it was in the box so I called MSD.
Joe is one of the main tech guys, but he was gone to a race for a few days.
The guy I talked to was usless and told me to send it to them which I did.
I called yesterday to check the status and got Joe. He said that nothing was wrong which was the last thing I wanted to hear 'cause as you know that means I still have a problem! However, Joe is good tech guy and began to ask me some questions. Of course the first thing he ask is about the ground wire which I have checked and checked and re-checked
to make sure it was a good ground. With that being said like most guys I have my ground from the box going straight to the frame (actually roll cage.) Joe told me to run the ground straight to the battery (10 ga wire) and should solve my problem. No doubt, I understand that the battery is the ground and not the frame so I agree that I should have and will change it.
I'll have the box next week and will let you guys know if this solves my problem for good.

I posted this because I know most, like me don't run a ground wire all the way back to the battery and maybe it'll help someone else with a similar problem. I've been trying to get this problem fixed so I can add a little nos to it. No way can I until I know this is fixed.