View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I found a complete 1LE front brake conversion on craiglist, got it all for $100! The guy put it all together about 6 years ago, mocked it up on his car and then liofe changed for him. the sad thing is the brand new rotors are probably rusted beyond repair but he threw in a set of brand new calipers, brake pads and brake hoses. I dont need the pads and calipers so will just probably resell them. I remember someone posting up the lower ball joint holes in the spindles may be bigger but so I need to check mine to see if they are the same size.

Well after installing the new valve body and vacuum modulator at over christmas weekend, the weather finally got nice so I could see if the trans was working better. It does finally shift but really late, unless I get the rpms up around 3-4K it wont shift. So at least I know all the gears do work. I called my trans guy and he says to take a look at the governor. I will mess with it later.
I did buy myself a bunch of goodies for the car at the end of December so it was a good day to tinker. First new front and rear sidemarkers along with some LED bulbs. The OER markers are nice built units, I also ordered new brackets and nuts. What a world of difference, nice and bright!

Next was the rear window moldings, mine were scratched up pretty good on the edges, almost like someone left them on when sanding the car. My back window is scratched up too but that will be replace in the spring. Having the correct trim removal tool makes this a breeze. You can see a lot of the scratches on this piece.

The new moldings went on real easy and fit good.

Next is the vertical B-pillar moldings, mine were pretty pitted. I pulled out the seal and started on taking them off.

Now I couldnt figure out why the screws were painted orange? The rest of this car had beem completely taken apart when painted, so I got curious and decided to take off the upper weatherstrip channels and drip rails. Low and behold after a year of looking at every inch of this car I think I found the original color, blue! Looks like they painted the car with the channels in place and then replaced them since they look pretty new. My cowl tag was long gone when I got the car so the original color has always been a mystery.

Original moldings were pretty pitted.

I also noticed the paint looked pretty nice under the drip rails so I decided to take both sides off, nothing wrong with them, I think it just looks cleaner. So I mocked up the new B-pillar moldings, they fit weird at the top so I ground an 1/8" off and then they fit perfect.

Now reinstall the upper channels, tuck in the weatherstrips and we are done! I think it looks better without the drip rails.

I also ordered some LED tail light inserts from Matts Classic Bowties. Turns out they are direct shipped from a company called North West Mustang in Oregon.

When I contacted them to find out what was taking so long, the owner Larry contacted me personally to say they had just redesigned them with more LED's and they will be ready in 2 weeks. I then asked about getting a second set so I could convert my reverse lights to park/brake lights he said that he would send me the second set for free if I sent him pics and video of my install, SCORE! I told him no problem. So I found a used second set of park/brake light lenses and I have them all ready for install, just waiting on the new LED boards to arrive, cant wait!

Old setup

Mocked up with new seals, just waiting on new LED's

As close to "Normal" as I can get...