View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default 2 lane blacktop

A real good piece of trivia to this movie. That 55 Chevy, it's the same car that Harrison Ford was driving in American Graffitti.

Another side note, you could stuff a BB Chevy in one of those cars with a tunnel ram. A good buddy of mine had a pretty respectable 66 Mustang in 1971-72, thereabouts. He and his brother built it from the Ford parts book. It was a 302, had windsor heads and intake, the "Lemans" camshaft and about a 12:1 compression ratio. Backed by a good top loader 4 speed and 4.56 gears. It was dam# stout for a SB Ford. Well, he tangled with just such a car.

Happened up on US 31, coming back from cruising the southside of Indianapolis. One of the many stop light races which were not uncommon in those days. That 55 just blew him away. Finally ran the car down at a gas station and asked them what was in that thing. They gladly popped the hood to reveal a BB Chevy, complete with tunnel ram and 660 Holleys. That thing had to be a bear to street drive.

For many of you, it's just a movie. I'm just glad I got see, live through and experience some of that era. It was a magical time.