View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 09:33 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by spudmiller
If you hurt your stuff while running nitro, then you aren't doing it right.

Nitromethane is an extremely cost effective way to make economical parts and pieces perform like you wouldn't believe. The tone here seems to be that one would be foolish to run it and it would be like setting fire to good money. My sentiments are pretty much the opposite...buy the good liquid and feed it right to go fast instead of spending bucks on trick parts made out of unobtainium. Also, parts designed for brute strength are cheaper than trick, lightweight, canted-valve, jewelry. So, buy for strength and dump in more juice.

I ran an extremely cheap small block chevy for 5 seasons with almost no maintenance. Same bearings, same rings...I finally wore out the bores and retired it for new iron. It was running when I shut it off. In fact, its last pass was a final round appearance. Hundreds and hundreds of passes on 50-75% nitro. I did need to put two new pistons in it once due to over revving it on the burn out. Changed head gaskets a couple of times until I learned what worked. That's it. No trick parts or pieces and I was able to beat up pretty well on blown alcohol motors. It won many rounds, won quite a few events and I didn't spend a ton of money.

Spud Miller
www.onehotchilipepper.com
In all repect Zip, Since he is very efficient with nitro its only makes this statement worse. "If you hurt your stuff while running nitro, then you aren't doing it right."

I took this off www.onehotchilipepper.com :

1.) Things are looking up in Chili Pepper land. After wrecking a crankshaft on the initial fireup last month, things are rumbling again with a brand new crank balanced at the last minute, put in some hours helping to get the powerplant back together, mounted in the chassis and reconnected. Our fireup in the driveway went much better than before

2.) Apparently, something in the Powerglide transmission was really mad and wanted out. The case was severly split and a big chunk of aluminum was laying on the floorpan with oil gushing out of the gaping hole. It appears as though we found another weak link

3.) We worked like dogs three long days in a row to get the car all put together and ready to fire. She started right up and sounded great! Unfortunately, the oil drained out sparkly, dark and burned

4.) So, after a week off, we will pull the motor, tear it down, put new bearings in it and maybe a new crank. We may take the tranny to our expert tranny guy for inspection. Then we'll put it back together and find a good weekend to test and upgrade my licens

5.) We seem to be having an issue with the new rings seating on cylinder #4 & 6 and are getting a bunch of oil in those cylinders. The poor seal is also letting a lot of fuel by and into the oil

6.)Our streak of bad luck at Bremerton continues. We've ruined engines, spun bearings, broke output shafts and now red lit in the first round at the historic old strip. We have won events there but usually not without mishap

7.) On the second qualifier, I nailed it as the tree lit yellow. I felt and heard a loud "POP!" as though something broke. I lifted figuring I was blowing oil all over the track. As I pulled the car over to the side I revved the motor a couple of times

8.) I noticed lots of aluminum on the #6 spark plug and knew something was wrong. No smoke, so away we went for the final round

I guess my perception of "If you hurt your stuff while running nitro, then you aren't doing it right." is just different than everybody elses.

IMO Nitro makes HP but not without side effects.
If the professor of Nitro is having some side effects with the use of Nitro, why would we tell others that might not be as knowledgible about Nitro that it does cause more engine part failures if you do it right.

IMO it would be like putting John Forces setup in my car and not expecting anymore problems than I have with just alcohol injection. I'm sorry but I don't agree with the post. I just don't think its even close to being accurate. :? :? :?