View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 01:58 PM
wfge
APPRENTICE

Default spark plug wires

My dad and I put new wires on our 67 camaro, he left ordering wires up to me, I called Jegs and told salesman what I had (BBC-MSD7al2-ect..) and we agreed on a set of Taylor wires. We put them on and everything was good for a couple of races, then after the 3rd weekend-3rd round of eleminations the car was huffing raw fuel and black smoke out the exhaust, it was terrible, we fought this gremlin for weeks, getting pissed and walking away for a few days at a time :evil: , my dad was convinced it was the carb (AED) so he sent it to them and it came back ok, in the mean time we tried a diff carb and it did the same thing. I checked coil, msd box, dist, cap-rotor all good, other advice was way off base, finally I tested wires with an ohmn meter (never done that before) something was not right, bottom line wires were solid core :shock: , put some new msd wires on it and its all good now. ???why did they work for a short time ???
hard lesson learned btw my dad was so convinced it was the carb he even bought a new one and it did the same thing :roll: