View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: Milky oil

Originally Posted by markdunlap
I believe SRP pistons are 4032 alloy for small blocks and flat top BBC but are 2068 for high compression BBC. I have 2 sets of 496 pistons here and it says on the box and paper work they are 2068. They are a little heavier than the JE and less compression 12.7 versus 13.5 but other than that they are just $200 cheaper.

Are your gapless rings top land or second land gapless? Top gapless should leak 2%.

Have you talked to a tech guy at TOTAL SEAL about rings? Has your engine builder?

I have built some alcohol engines both naturally aspirated and blown and the rings and cylinder wall prep was only difference per TOTAL SEAL specs.

I have had to file fit gapless rings as they were not in the range of .010"-.040".

I have also had a guy switch back and forth on a carburated engine and saw no differece as far as blowby. His engine did not have gapless rings.
The gapless are top land. I have wondered about the cylinder wall prep, as this may explaing the difference between what I see from the engine on gas as opposed to alcohol. Crankcase pressure on alcohol and vacuum on the gas.