View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 05:36 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Well this was stupid as hell and you'll probably wonder how i live to be so old, but here goes.

I was living in Phx. at the time, and had a excellent running 65 Chevelle track champ 84/85, i also had a 2 car garage attached. I had taken my 10' camper off my truck and set it down on the one side of the garage door, real close outside. I had my Chevelle parked on the other side of the garage and pushed back with in inches of the door. I was building a 427" b/blk for a friend in front of the Chevelle, and the last thing i was stick welding the pickup tube to the oil pump. About 3 ft. away was a drain pan 1/2 full of gas that i had been washing parts it. You guess it one of the chingle berrys jump into the drain pan, instent flames. I couldn't get the drain pan between the car and the camper, and in seconds the flames were like 5 ft. high. I was afraid to throw a blanket on it for fear it would splash out. I had some 2X4's standing against one wall, so i dragged the flaming pan around the front of the car and out the front door of the garage, by this time the flames were 10 ft. high, and the garage was so heavy in smoke you couldn't see in it. I put a hose on the pan and all it did was splash out for about 2 to 3 min. by the time i got it out i had burned up 10' of lawn and 2 neighbors were already calling the fire dept. I keep the burned 2 X 4 in the garage as a reminder untill i sold the house.
That's the last time i ever used gas to was parts, indoor or out doors, lesson well learned. ops:

Zip.