Old 08-01-2007, 02:02 PM
junkyarddawg
SHOW GUEST

Default What kind of street/race car should I build next?

I am thinking about selling my big blocked 71 Chevelle and building myself a nice fun street and strip toy using a 400 small block Chevy I have sitting in my garage.

However I'm sort of having trouble deciding on what kind of car I should get.

I would like to run in the 11's if not the 10's. I figure I'll need something lightweight. Yet I don't want to go with a "gutted out" vehicle because this will also be a street car.

I also don't want something that's going to need body work.

The first two vehicles in mind would be either:

82-87 Chevy S-10 2WD reg cab short bed. I would get the base model truck. I believe they were about 2500 lbs curb weight and adding a sbc from what I have read adds roughly 200 lbs to the nose. Problem is finding a truck that's not been beaten up/rusted to pieces.

62-65 Chevy II. I think i read somewhere these cars ran in the 2500-2800 lb range. Not sure which engines made them what, but one of my main concerns is the front sump pan....will it fit a 74 400 sbc and how? Looks like the biggest issue is these little cars are expensive now and if not they're rusted.

I've also considered a Buick Regal G body, though they're a little on the heavy side, seems like they're classy with style and parts are out there for them.

Not sure what else to look for.....would love some input on what makes a good street car but will still run 10's/11's at the track with a 400 sbc.