Thread: 565 in g-body
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 05:38 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

I don't have a clue . . A 700R4 is a "Borderline" trans when you're addressing gobs of HP. I have one in my '34 but with a Blown Small Block, However, I don't race it or even "Stress It" . . It's a cruiser . . 2125 @ 80 mph . . Can't beat that!

If you are thinking 700+ Hp and a 4sp O'drive trans, I'd recommend a L80E at the least. They're designed to take the punishment that the LS series dishes out and would probably stay together longer.

But this is all supposition on my part because if you're going to seriously race a 700 Hp car with an automatic trans, and expect both performance and little breakage under Horsepower, you'd best put a good commercial Racing 'Glide in it and live with the two speeds it comes with . .

But there's guys who race in No Box and King Street who run Turbo 350's and Mopar 727's and have good luck with 'em . . Rule of thumb, each shift is worth just about .3 tenths more on your E.T.

I'm kind of Old School Drag Racer, and believe that back when they first booted me into the "Gas Class" at the Drag Strip (1957), the street was no longer my playground . . the Track was!

This is just my opinion though, tempered with some past experience. There are other experts up here that may have other ideas and convictions that may serve you better.