Thread: oil brand
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 06:52 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

NO,NO,NO, i'm not running any hydaulic cam on any racing engine. I have all roller setups, except i do have a prostreet 406 with a solid lift cam. I only brought up the hydaulic lifter as for a street car with a decent cam such as my El Camino with a .510 lift, definately not a race car, but a kinda daily driver. It only ran .840's in the 1/8 mile with street tires.
The only reason i got into this conversation was to try and figure out how to not get another flat cam on the street, which might get 3,000 miles a yr.

On the roller motors i have, which are a 377" toilet bowl injected, a 434" with Hilborn stacks, and a 383" 1471 blown alcohol engine.

I don't have the oil holes in any of the roller motors, but i do, is grind a .002 X 1/16"W flat on the top side of the roller lifter in the lower half of the lifters to oil the rollers, that way the rollers get more oil. I started doing that long before they started putting oil holes in the bottom of the lifters.
I don't use any special $8.00 a quart oil in the engines, and yes i get milking it's almost impossible not too. So i just change it about every 15 passes, along with the filter. We all know that the milking comes from warmup and not after the engine is warm unless the rings are impropperly gapped, so i'm pretty careful warming the engine up with the fuel pump pulled to 1/2 open while warming them up. Course the blower motor doesn't care how i warm it up, so that oil cange is after every trip to the track.

Zip.