View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 AM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default reply

I currently ran a JW 9" 5000 conv. behind my 505 bbc and when I hit one of them calculators online, it showed me I had -37% slippage :shock:

Do to my ignorance about converters, I have been doing some homework on this area of key performance and I am now putting my trust into Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts. He has mine now and says so far it looks good, but he needs to check the tolerances and sprag, and he will lighten it up a bit, change the stall to around 5600 and tighten it up as I am going to run Nitrous now.

One thing that is VERY IMPORTANT GUYS, is to have as much info about your car as possible, DYNO numbers are a key element, along with what rpm you launch at, what does the rpm flash too right when you leave off the pedal or brake, rpm drop from gear to gear, and those are the 3 main inputs of data needed for any trans shop to get it close to being right, but it's up to the shop guys to know what they are doing of course. :wink:

Another way to find out how much slippage you have, or if the converter is even close for your combo is to hook it up to a chassis dyno and make some pulls, the graph won't lie to ya and go to a respectable dyno shop, spend your good hard earned money and find these numbers that are so much needed to match the power to the trans, rear gear and tires, you won't regret it.

Hammer, ready for the new season this year??

John
"The Elkyman"
Lookin for 8's this year