View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
mike572
APPRENTICE

Bruce,

Alright, I'll definietly do some test bends before anything serious.Removing the doors makes sense now, i'll definetly do that. And as for the cradle your were talking about, Should I make it out of thick plywood with 2x4's braced all along the bottom of the car this way there will be no brace bars in the way of the cage? Are you not supposed to have any brace bars running through the inside of the car? If I can fit a couple above the cage so I can easily take the body off should I only do that? Or just the plywood and 2x4's cradle along the bottom? Or do I have the wrong idea with a plywood base all together? The Front end is going to be a fiberglass clip so there will be no front fenders so that's one less thing to worry about. And should I have the doors off while i'm coming in and out of the car taking measurements and bends? Or leave them on and just open and close them waiting until the final body mounting to take them off? I'll also be sure to take all the measurments I can before cutting the floor out.

I've had tube chassis cars before so i'm pretty familiar as far as the angles, geometry and such. And I have one of those huge mopar race car engineering books so I think I should be alright on that, given I study the book before designing the chassis. Yeah I guess thats why racecar fabricators are really on every corner haha, but I'm very willing to make the chassis and finish it.

Thanks for your help,
Michael

Hambone,

Thanks for the link.