View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
altereddoug
JOURNEYMAN

I found out why you use QUALITY lifters two years ago. I used a set of herbert .300 longer roller lifters on just a .746 lift cam. Brand new motor and it lasted 45 minutes. After the warm up I revved it to 3500 and then a awful squeal and shut it out and then a bang. It pushed the camshaft out the front of the motor. Had a billet
cover and timing chain, bent 5 valves. Luckily thats when it did it. After changing cams,timing chains, then going to gear drive, tearing apart the engine to see if the block was screwed up, since it was new. Could not find anything wrong. So I installed the cam and loaded the lifters. then actually saw where it was shoving the camshaft forward.?????? (with a dial indicator) Anyway What I found was that when the camshaft was on base circle on one side and the other on max lift the horz. bar was binding up and twisting the lifter in the bore. Put a set of hippo lifters in and never a problem since... That mistake only cost me around 1800.00....so what did I save?

Save money now.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!