Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM
jimboscarbs
SHOW GUEST

Default My 2 cents

James,
For what it's worth I have raced and worked on cars all my life so let me preface this by saying I will get to the racecar's in a minute, so hear me out.
One year, one of my sons had wrecked a Racecar I built him beyond repair and I didn't have the money to fix it so I bought go karts, only after a friend coaxed me to ride one. I must say before I rode it I figiured no self respecting car racer would be seen on one.

To the contrary, I was quite suprised. I ended up finishing 9th at the Tunica Nationals that year, in the unlimited Allstar class and all I can say is WOW what a ride! under ten second lap times on a 1/6 mile oval. It definitely filled the need for speed and made a much better driver out of me.
Karts will also teach you loads about the concepts of setup and adjustments you need to make on any car to go fast. The other plus side is it's not as expensive as full size cars. Let me interject here and say though so you have no preconceived notions, know any racing is expensive have no doubts about it...
To continue the story,To be competitve in Karts, plan to spend about 5k and higher on your initiitial investment and about $50.00 an outing. Finally about the karts, some or the best racers in the country, whether it be dirt or asphalt come from Kart racing. I personally know many very talented drivers that came from karting.

Full blown Modified
If you intend to run up front know that this is an expensive endeavor in tires alone... a full blown modifed is on the order of a 35k investment new and about half that used this does not include an on average cost $200.00 every outing (that is any car except the bomber class maybe). I am not trying to discourage you I just want you to know what is what here.

Limited modified
you can race this class competitvely as cheaply as you can race any full sized car. Where you are located geographically I would be suprised if you didn't know someone who has one of these cars. There are more and more used cars on the market for these classes and if you do your homework you can still build a motor that will compete in this class in you own shop.

Full Bodied Cars
In my opinion the full bodied cars of the lower classes are just to damn hard to work on and maintain properly because of the bodies. The limited car is essentilay the same car with an aluminum body with easlily removed panels

I have probably rambled on enough so in closing I will say whatever you race, whether it be lawnmowers on Winston cup DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT skimp on saftey equipment. This includes fire suits, helmets cars whatever, specially fuel cells. With that said I hope you get what you want and enjoy racing it. I can tell you after over a 33 year involvement in racing.
It's the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on!!!
Thank you for your service to our great country, Jimbo
http://www.jimboscarbs.com/Winning.htm