View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 07:23 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

I have a hard time believing that a cam "just failed". I've ran some pretty cheaply made flat tappet cams and had virtually zero issues. Cam's just don't "fail"....

How did you check the heat treat? Did you perform a hardness test? Did you send the cam back to comp for them to test? I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's a lot less common than we're led to believe. Virtually all the failed cams I've dealt with were either from improper break in, incorrect oil (not enough zinc), or incorrect installation...It's very RARE for a cam to "just fail", even due to manufacturers defects......

I agree, let's help him make a good decision, but also lets not give him only one option based on our opinion of someone we've dealt with...I have my preference for performance parts, and I'm very loyal to some, but I will never tell someone that is the only place to get them from, because they may want something different than what I have or how I do my stuff....And lets face it, there are a bunch of quality companies out there that can take care of him...