Thread: Block Grout?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 10:42 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
Don't use concrete grout. It shirks big time and does not adhere to the cylinder walls.

Use Hard Block and it won't pull away. I think it would be better to have a set of deck plates bolted to the block when it is filled and left there for the maching operations, but that is usually not practicle and most deck plates are solid. So you level the block after cleaning it with a muratic acid-water solution and letting all that dry, you level the block both ays and pour one side slowly while getting a helper to beat it with a rubber hammer. Let it sit a full day and repaet the process on the other bank.

There are some other epoxies to use but never use a concrete grout.

Ed
Hey Ed,

Have you ever used bolt set as a filler? I know a person who has used this in the past but i'm not sure of the success, it was used on sbc 400's. It is a concrete product used to set bolts in concrete, a grey epoxy with expanding qualities that fills voids. He did do this before boring and finish honing of the block.
Just curious, because it's about 1/2 the cost of hard block, my 400's are filled with hard block.

Zip.